John Edward Dodd (J.E.D) Murray
Sunday, April 27th, 2014
John Edward Dodd (J.E.D) Murray was born in the year 1858 at 57 Hawick High Street.
John Edward Dodd Murray had a wife called Margaret €œDaisy€ Young, who had been his Cornet’s Lass. They had one child called Melgund.
His photographic business
He left Hawick to pursue work at the chemists, grocery and insurance trades before returning to Hawick in 1886 to set up a photographic business. Jed’s first studios was where the Post Office was later built. He then moved to 43 Bridge Street in 1902 and his business became one of Hawick’s foremost photography businesses.
A MAN WITH MANY TALENTS
John Edward Dodd Murray was a writer with many talents. He wrote many Hawick songs including: “The Wail of Flodden”, “The Mosstroopers Song” and “Clinty’s Song”. As young as 14, J.E.D had written and published a poem called “Hornshole” which led on to more famous Hawick poems including “The Reeky Howe”. As a keen writer of songs and poems J.E.D published some comedic and musical plays with the help of Adam Grant. Only scripts for “The Gutterbludes” (1905) and “Kirsty o’ Cocklaw Castle” (1904) survive. “The Gutterbludes” was revived and performed twice by the Two Rivers Theatre Company in 2000 and 2005. J.E.D was also a painter and a portrait of his favourite horse “Oakwood Daisy” is mounted up in the museum.
His Common-Riding spirit
J.E.D was Cornet in 1890 and Acting Father not once but four times in 1901, 1905, 1912 and 1925. During the First World War he personally rode the marches each Common Riding Day. He acted as a marshal at the Common-Riding for many years and ordered the curds and cream for almost half a century. He was a founder member of the Callants Club in 1904 and in 1920 he suggested the founding of the Mosstroopers’ Club, where his horse was the model for the badge.
John Edward Dodd Murray was a keen walker and a lover of the outdoors. He published a book entitled “Over the Rolling Stones by One of Them.” He was involved with the local Amateur Operatic SocietY and he also became an honorary life member of the Golf Club after the success of “The Caddie’s Ghost” an 1894 fund-raiser.
J.E.D sadly passed away in 1936. He is buried in the Wellogate Cemetery. A trophy called the “J.E.D Murray Trophy” was first presented at the 1938 Common Riding race meeting in his honour. A plaque was unveiled at his home where he grew up at 57 High Streetin 2006 and the Mosstroopers’ Club held a celebration to mark the 150th anniversary of his birth.
J E D Murray was truly a man of many talents.
By Rachel Goldie