Martin Dechan

Martin Dechan was born in 1852 and grew up in Gotterson’s Innery – now part of Drumlanrig Square – and then at Langburnshiels. After working as a hind he became a tweed finisher with Walter Wilson. He later took Science and Art classes at Teviot Grove Academy and qualifyied as a Chemistry teacher. After that he gave up his factory job to become a full time chemistry teacher in 1884. After teaching for a few years he took over the practical Chemistry lecture room and laboratory of the Buccleuch Memorial. He also continued to study himself publishing several papers, becoming a fellow of the Institute of Chemistry. He was then elected a fellow of the Chemical Society of London in 1885. He died in 1915.

By Rhianne Gray